Nicks workshop mutterings

Various railway orientated modelling projects in my new workshop/railway room.

Eggesford progress

It has been quite  a while since I reported on the progress with Eggesford. The trackwork is all finished and trains are running well over the complete circuit. The locking frame has been installed and the points all operate from Hoffman. Point motors. The signals have yet to be connected to the frame.


The next stage is to install point ridding and start on the job of ballasting. In the past I have done this by brushing in he ballast then fixing with dilute PVA, always a horrible messy job! Talking to a member of the scalefour society at a recent meeting of the Devon Finescale Group it was suggested I try furniture polish. There is a good thread on the scalefour website forum about using Johnsons Klear liquid floor polish. I had difficulty finding that particular make but got an equivalent at B&Q. When the polish is dropped neat along the edge of the ballast it seems to be quickly sucked into the ballast without disturbing it at all and best of all it drys quickly. I decided to do a comparison test with two lengths of track.

The first picture shows the test after five minutes;


The next one is after two hours. The polish has dried but the PVA is still wet and mucky.


Finally by the next morning both are dry but the PVA one shows very shiny sleepers where the glue has dried and the ballast has been very disturbed. The one fixed with polish is more even and neater and would not require too much in the way of weathering.


The winner is the floor polish method. Now to do the whole layout!

Single Post Navigation

4 thoughts on “Eggesford progress

  1. Reblogged this on sed30's Blog and commented:
    Nice work

  2. Comparing the polish to the dilute PVA method, how well bonded is the ballast in the polish sample? I’m sold on the comparison in application but curious to know how well the polish will perform over time or, at least, your initial thoughts?

    • Hi
      After two days it appears well bonded. I have tried rubbing over the ballast and very little, if any, came off. Also, I used a very fine ballast to suit the scale and the polish one has a very even finish. The one done with PVA has a very rough finish and there are large clumps of ballast. My initial impression is that the polish has fixed the ballast very well and evenly and looks like it is going to be quite resilient. Time will tell!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

North Devon Clay

Launceston & District MRC

Inspired by Brent

Modelling the Great Western Railway in 1947

Ouse Valley Modeller

Ouse Valley Modeller is a blog about my 4mm OO gauge modelling, my observations mostly about Sussex railways in the 1950's and my layout Herstmonceux

The Model Railways of Oly Turner and Chris Matthews

Finescale (ish) Modelling in 4mm Scale by two friends

highland miscellany

MODELLING MUSINGS ON PORTCHULLIN, GLENMUTCHKIN AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT TAKES MY FANCY

Kyle of Sutherland

A record of my P4 layout Kyle of Sutherland, which I scrapped in 2018, and the continuing work to upgrade and improve its finescale trains, locos and rolling stock

%d bloggers like this: